Patient engagement has evolved significantly throughout medical history, providing immense benefits across the industry. Before, patients were just on the receiving end of care. Now, they’re stepping into the spotlight, actively shaping their health journeys.
This shift is a significant leap towards better healthcare, where the benefits of patient engagement are clear. This changes patient care from a monologue to a conversation.
Patients are no longer silent listeners with electronic health records (EHR) access; they’re now informed collaborators. This transformation, powered by technology and patient-focused Release of Information (ROI), brings a cascade of benefits. Engaged patients mean better health, fewer hospital returns, lower costs, and a surge in satisfaction.
Amidst this change, there’s ChartRequest, the #1 release of information software with Full-Service and Self-Service partnership offerings. We help all types of requestors easily and securely access medical records.
ChartRequest helps build trust by safeguarding data while facilitating faster health information exchange and enhancing patient engagement. In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of patient engagement for your healthcare practice.
What is Patient Engagement?
Patient engagement is a fundamental aspect of healthcare that emphasizes the collaborative partnership between healthcare providers and patients. It entails both parties actively participating in making informed healthcare decisions rather than simply following doctor’s orders.
Patient engagement encompasses a range of actions such as taking the initiative to understand medical information, asking relevant questions, and proactively managing one’s personal health.
By fostering patient engagement, healthcare providers aim to empower individuals to play an active role in their healthcare journey and ultimately achieve better health outcomes.
Without patient engagement, your practice can experience several drawbacks, including:
- Higher mortality rate for preventable diseases
- Low levels of health literacy and education
- Lack of trust and suboptimal care
- Low level of patient satisfaction
With that said, let’s dive into the benefits of patient engagement in the healthcare setting.
5 Benefits of Patient Engagement
These benefits highlight the importance of active patient participation both in achieving better health outcomes and effectively managing healthcare services. Following patient engagement best practices can improve patient satisfaction and reduce healthcare costs.
1. Improved Health Outcomes
Patients who are really involved in their healthcare often end up healthier, which shows how important it is for people to be active in managing their health. Patients taking part in their care are more likely to follow their doctor’s advice and seek additional beneficial activities.
A study from The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine found that fewer patients missed their appointments when they got more involved in their healthcare. In this study, the number of people who didn’t show up for appointments went down from 37% to 19%.
These findings make it clear: being involved in your healthcare is really important. It’s not just a nice thing; it’s a big part of getting better health results. Healthcare providers can help people take charge of their health. When they do, everyone can be healthier.
2. Increased Patient Satisfaction
High customer satisfaction is one of the significant benefits of patient engagement. Patients who are involved in their healthcare decisions tend to feel more valued and better understand the trajectory of their care. This, in turn, leads to greater trust in their healthcare providers and overall satisfaction with their care.
A study published in the National Library for Medicine found a direct correlation between patient engagement and satisfaction. The study revealed that patients who reported high levels of engagement were three times more likely to report satisfaction with their healthcare.
This demonstrates that fostering an environment that encourages patient participation can improve healthcare outcomes and enhance the patient experience, leading to higher satisfaction levels.
Higher satisfaction rates contribute to a more positive reputation for the healthcare institution. This can significantly attract new patients and retain existing ones. Additionally, satisfied patients are more likely to adhere to treatment plans and follow-up schedules, facilitating efficient patient management.
3. Reduced Healthcare Costs
Patient engagement can also impact healthcare costs because engaged patients are more likely to adhere to preventive measures and follow treatment plans. This leads to fewer hospital visits and better management of chronic conditions, reducing costs for both the patient and the healthcare system.
According to a published study at UC Berkeley, if patient decision-making goes up by three percent, healthcare spending can go down by at least 10% for a healthcare facility.
With the ever-increasing cost of healthcare services, healthcare providers need to identify effective ways to reduce costs while still providing high-quality care. Engaging patients in their healthcare can be a valuable strategy to achieve this goal.
4. Stronger Provider-Patient Relationships
Healthcare providers can develop strong relationships with their patients by fostering patient engagement because active patient participation promotes effective communication and trust between the two parties. Patients who feel valued and heard by their healthcare providers are more likely to have a positive attitude toward them and be satisfied with the care they receive.
Stronger provider-patient relationships also lead to a better understanding of patient needs and can help providers make more informed decisions about their patients’ healthcare. This, in turn, leads to improved care outcomes and greater patient satisfaction.
According to a survey, 89% of Americans prefer consulting with doctors they’ve previously built a relationship with — someone who knows their background and family.
5. Improved Quality of Care
Medical errors in hospitals result in 100,000 deaths each year and can cost over $20 billion each year. One of the significant benefits of patient engagement is in reducing the chances of medical errors and improving the overall quality of care.
By actively involving patients in their healthcare decisions, providers can gather more accurate information about their patients’ health status, lifestyle, and preferences. This leads to tailored treatment plans, minimizing the risk of adverse drug reactions or misdiagnosis.
Moreover, patient feedback is vital for healthcare providers to recognize and fix any potential issues with their services. Healthcare institutions can continuously improve and deliver high-quality care by actively seeking patient feedback.
The Importance of a Robust Release of Information Process
The Release of Information (ROI) in healthcare refers to the process of disclosing patient health information (PHI) from their medical records to authorized individuals or entities.
This process is critical since it enables the sharing of medical data for various reasons, including:
- patient consultations,
- medical research,
- third-party payments,
- legal matters,
- and quality assurance.
A robust and secure ROI process protects healthcare providers and record custodians from the following:
- Privacy lawsuit: Confidentiality of patient information is a fundamental patient right and a legal requirement under laws like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). An efficient and secure ROI process protects healthcare providers from potential legal issues related to unauthorized access or disclosure of health information.
- Promotes the benefits of patient engagement: A robust ROI process contributes significantly to patient engagement. By facilitating the swift and secure release of medical records, patients are better positioned to participate actively in their healthcare decision-making process. They can:
- review their medical records,
- understand their medical history,
- consult with other healthcare providers,
- and make informed decisions about their health.
- Avoid fines: From a financial standpoint, a compliant ROI process ensures that healthcare providers adhere to the relevant legal and regulatory standards, thus reducing potential fines and sanctions.
The ROI process is a critical component that plays a significant role in patient engagement, trust-building, compliance with laws, and avoidance of legal problems. Therefore, you must invest in efficient and secure ROI systems to optimize the benefits of patient engagement.
How ROI Software Like ChartRequest Boosts Patient Engagement
In 2018, about 3 in 10 patients checked their medical records online at least twice a year. This number has kept growing as more patients want to be in charge of their health.
When patients can get to their medical records easily and safely, they become more involved in their health. ChartRequest is a tool that helps with this. It’s fast, safe, and follows the law. It’s all about getting patients more involved in their health care.
ChartRequest is strong and follows HIPAA rules. It makes it simpler for doctors to share health information and gets patients more involved.
Here’s how ChartRequest helps:
- Easy and Safe Access to Records: Patients can get their medical records quickly and safely, no matter where they are. This helps them know more about their health and take part in their care.
- Sharing Records Without Hassle: Patients can share their records easily, whether it’s for seeing a specialist or for insurance. ChartRequest makes this simple and builds trust between patients and doctors.
- Automatic Updates: ChartRequest tells patients when their record requests are ready. This means less waiting and happier patients.
- Trail Audit: ChartRequest keeps a record of all requests and approvals, which helps healthcare providers maintain compliance with HIPAA laws. This also ensures the security and privacy of patient information.
- Easy to Use: ChartRequest is simple for both doctors and patients. It has things like electronic signatures, tracking, and safe messages to make everything smoother.
- Clear Billing: With ChartRequest, patients know about any costs for getting their records. This makes everything clear and fair.
ChartRequest helps you give great care while making patients a bigger part of their health journey. It helps keep patients happy, improves results, and lowers the chance of mistakes and legal problems.
Healthcare Trends Shaping Patient Engagement Benefits
With the rise in health technology, patients have access to an abundance of medical information. They are taking a more active role in their healthcare journey.
Here are some key healthcare trends shaping the landscape while also enhancing the benefits of patient engagement:
- Telemedicine: Since the COVID-19 pandemic, telemedicine has become a big thing. It lets patients talk to their doctors over the internet. This means patients need quick and safe access to their health records. A system like ChartRequest helps share medical information quickly between patients and doctors, which makes online doctor visits work better.
- Personalized Medicine: This is about giving treatments that are just right for a person’s unique genetic make-up. A safe system for sharing medical information, like ChartRequest, lets doctors and researchers get the necessary health and genetic data. This leads to more exact treatments for each person and helps patients be more involved in their treatment.
- Integrated Healthcare Systems: Healthcare is moving towards a seamless care coordination environment where everything is connected. This means doctors and healthcare providers need to share information easily and quickly. A system that shares information fast and safely, like ChartRequest, helps with better coordination of care. It also lets patients be a bigger part of managing their health.
Ready to Embrace the Change? Boost Your Patient-Centric Strategies with ChartRequest
Patient engagement is no longer an option; it is a necessity in today’s digital healthcare landscape. To achieve this, you need the right ROI software like ChartRequest. With ChartRequest, you can experience the benefits of patient engagement while ensuring compliance with legal standards and fostering trust and transparency with your patients.
ChartRequest is the leading software and services company for releasing medical information. We extend the functionality of EMRs by securely and compliantly exchanging medical records. Our innovative technology has created a vast network of patients, healthcare organizations, and third-party requestors. Joining our network comes with numerous advantages, including industry-leading 2-day turnaround times and unparalleled support.
We are committed to empowering healthcare providers and patients by making medical records management more efficient, secure, and user-friendly. Stay ahead in the ever-evolving healthcare industry by embracing efficient and secure ROI solutions today. Join the 5000+ healthcare providers who already benefit from our robust features and extensive network of medical databases.
Explore our solutions and discover how ChartRequest can enhance patient engagement in your healthcare organization.
Don’t wait any longer. Book a free demo today and experience the transformative power of ChartRequest. Let us be your partner in promoting patient engagement and streamlining medical record exchange.
Together, we can empower patients to take control of their healthcare journey and improve overall health outcomes.